Thursday, September 8, 2011

At What Point Are We Wrong?

You know, there comes a time in everyone's life where they get hurt. I mean really, really hurt. As human beings it is definitely natural to want to hurt the other person back. I heard this line in a movie once, "I am proud of you for standing up for yourself....I know my moral compass doesn't always point due north. But if this was the right thing to do wouldn't you feel better about it right now?"

We all grow up with our teachers and priests and parents telling us that "Two wrongs do not make a right."

I personally have destroyed friendships and have had my friendship violated. I have seen this happen to many people throughout my life, granted my life is only a span of 27 years but I have seen plenty and I am sure I will see plenty more. But one thing that I will say is, at one point or another I ask myself if I feel better or worse without that person's forgiveness. I am not saying that we all need to forgive and forget but I am saying we all need to put things behind us sometimes and move on. Some people will recover and some will not. We cannot allow the hurt that we have encountered define us.

Whether we like it or not, even though that moment in time we are feeling hurt, life goes on. Eventually we will recover and live life to its fullest without seeking vengeance on the other person. It hurts my heart to think about the worst thing that I have ever done to one single person. Truthfully in hindsight after living life a little bit longer I have come to find that what I did was nothing compared to some people. But at what point are we wrong as human beings really? I mean, I have said some hurtful things and I consider myself wrong all the time.

Next time you seek revenge on another person regardless of how hurt you are ask yourself that. At what point are we wrong?

Let the other person hurt and then comfort them for being hurt the best you can. Retaliation is normal human reaction. Just make sure that you truly feel better after you are finished with whatever you have done. Most who seek refuge will not feel better. Most will still be just as hurt as they were if not worse.

I always say Karma is a constant turning wheel. Think about the next time it lands on you. What do you want your fate to be?

No comments: